Thursday, February 7, 2019

Steampunk heart

I wanted to make a new Valentine's Day decor piece and decided I was going to go with a steampunk design.  I really like steampunk but haven't make a lot of art pieces with this look. 

When starting a piece like this it does help to have a box of "odds and ends" pieces that you can choose from.  I can't remember exactly where or when I got the gears from but it looks like it was from a package of Tim Holtz idea-ology mini gears. Same thing for the spinner piece - it was from a package of game spinners.


The heart was die cut from cardstock, then wrapped with aluminum duct tape which I always borrow from my husband's work shop.  I think by now he's used to looking in my studio if he's missing some materials.  But this time I actually put it back after I used it!  (lol)

Then used an embossing folder with gears design on the heart piece.  Afterwards I colored the embossed heart with alcohol inks - started with Teakwood then added Gold.  I colored all of the pieces with the same inks then glued them to the heart using Weldbond Glue. 

The heart was then glued to a piece of striped background paper from my paper stash (which oddly enough never gets any smaller after I use papers...why is that?).  I put it in a black frame without glass.  Really liked how this turned out.  Here's to more steampunk art in the future!





No comments:

Post a Comment