Friday, April 22, 2022

Paper Blossoms

Spring takes a long time to get here in Wisconsin.  And this year the wait seems really long.  While waiting for my outdoor spring flowers to show up, I decided to make some paper blossoms.   An abundance of sticks in the yard gave me an idea of making a table decor piece using only what I had on hand. 

I liked the idea of making dogwood blossoms.  Dogwood blossoms are often used as symbols of rebirth - perfect for spring.  These blossoms have four petals that are almost heart shaped.  I sketched until I got a shape that I liked.  The paper is scrap paper from the printer (20 lb copy printer paper).


Next I added color using Distress Oxide ink 'Picked Raspberry'.  
Just to give a hint of pink to the blossoms.  


I used a thin pencil to curve the petals for some dimension.  Now what to use for the center of the flower?  Tried different things, even sketching with colored pencils, but didn't like the results.  
Then used a mini flower punch and a scrap of light green cardstock.   
Voila!  just the look I wanted.


Now to attach the blossoms to the branches. This ended up being a bit of a challenge.  Although I used regular white craft glue for the centers, it wasn't working to hold the blossoms to the branches without me holding each flower for several minutes.  And even then some fell off.  A thicker more sturdy glue was needed.  I couldn't locate my hot glue sticks. Thought I had fabric glue which might be stronger but couldn't find that either.  (Really, I must clean my studio one of these days)  Finally found a bottle of Gorilla Glue.  Gorilla Glue is a thick, clear, waterproof glue that dries fast and is great for repairing items.  Definitely overkill for thin pieces of paper but it was on hand.    


I placed the branches (sticks) in a jar filled with some glass pebbles to hold them in place.  When I was happy with the placement, I started gluing the blossoms to the branches.  I placed a dab of glue on the bottom of the paper blossom and gently held it to a branch for 1-2 minutes to get it to hold.  Some took a bit longer to stay.  After that I let it sit overnight before moving it to a table.    




















No comments:

Post a Comment