Monday, March 11, 2013

Alcohol Inked Tile Card (Happy B-day Ted)

Happy Birthday Ted! (a.k.a. Mr Stampers Anonymous).  Stampers Anonymous is an Art Stamp company and their owner Ted is 50 years young this month.  To celebrate customers were encouraged to make Ted a b-day card.  Since I love making cards and love the stamps from this company I just had to do this. The result was an alcohol inked tile card.  And of course I had to doodle the envelope too.  Instructions for the tile card are listed below.


The key to this project is making the paper first, then cutting the squares, and then doing the rubber stamping.

I started by making two pieces of alcohol inked paper.  (the steps for working with alcohol inks will be another post).  Then I cut the paper into squares using a 1 inch square punch.  I needed removable tape to hold the squares for stamping and for some reason couldn't locate the tape in my studio (yeah, that's never happened before LOL!) so I grabbed some tissue tape instead.  The tissue tape is a little tacky but not strong enough to glue the squares.  I placed tissue tape strips sticky side up (taped down on the ends to keep them in place) and then placed the paper squares on top of the tape.  The squares are placed edge to edge, alternating between colors.  The tape is just there to hold them in place.  After the squares were down I rubber stamped an image.   The Mona Lisa image is from Tim Holtz "Mona's Sketchbook". (Stampers Anonymous Tim Holtz collection cling mount).   The ink used was StazOn Jet Black.

Once the rubber stamped image was dry I gently removed each square and adhered it to a piece of black paper using a tape runner. Kinda like putting together a puzzle. I left spacing between the squares to get the tile effect.  I then trimmed the black piece of paper and adhered the whole image to a card stock base.   

I added lettering using Micron pens and finished up by doodling the envelope with more Micron pens, Zig Markers and Copic Markers. Hope Ted likes that card as much as I liked making it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment