Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Alcohol ink on tiles

really enjoyed working on these tiles.  These 4 inch square tiles from a hardware store make for a perfect and inexpensive small canvas. 

supplies: 4 inch square ceramic tiles, 91% isopropyl alcohol, Ranger Alcohol Inks (various colors), Q-tips, brushes, small spray bottle filled with some of the isopropyl alcohol, artist pallet tray to hold inks, gloves, paper towels.

The tiles were cleaned with 91% isopropyl alcohol and paper towels.  Then alcohol inks were poured, dripped, and brushed to mix together.    I gave a light spray of the alcohol to move the inks around.  It was fun to experiment.

This one is my favorite - just swirls of greens, blues and yellows.   

 
 
For this look I dropped ink and them blew through a straw to get most of the petals and leaves.  added dots in the center with ink and a q-tip.
 
 
For this tile I first applied a Peel-Off Sticker of a butterfly on the clean tile.  Peel-Off Stickers are very thin laser cut stickers ( I love the silver ones since you can alcohol ink them any color you want).  After the sticker was applied I carefully dabbed ink over the open areas of the butterfly and different colors for the background.  When it was dry I used a craft knife to pick up and remove the sticker revealing the butterfly outline.  
 
 
Had to try my hand at painting a scene.  still need some practice in this area but it was a fun experience.  The trunk of the tree was made my removing the ink with a brush dipped in the 91% isopropyl alcohol.  I used a fin brush to paint with the ink colors.
 
 
now I'm reading tons of blog posts on how to seal these tiles.  Lots of info out there and apparently lots of problems getting a good sealer on the tiles that won't make the inks run.  I'm not planning on using these are coasters so I won't need anything heavy duty. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment