Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Happy New Year!

Chalkboard lettering/chalkboard art has become very popular lately  Just before the holidays I took a day class in chalkboard lettering.  We used a white charcoal pencil for lettering - not actual chalk.  

Now taking a class for a few hours does not a lettering artist make.  Not by a long shot.  Even though I had some previous calligraphy knowledge and skill this type of art was a bit more challenging than I thought it would be.  I'm still struggling with the layout/design part.  Like all art, it just takes time, practice, patience, and a willingness to create.  So here's my beginner projects for the beginning of a new year.  

Supplies used: Generals White Charcoal Pencil, Faber Castell Eraser, Canson Mi-Teintes Paper in black.

Important note!  you know when you erase something with a pencil you just automatically brush away the eraser bits form the paper?  Well don't do that with this medium!  I can't tell you how many times I "brushed" and then smudged my lettering.  Grrrrr...  But hey the eraser did a great job!

 

 
I cannot take credit for the snowglobe design.  I saw a similar image on wrapping paper and in a magazine so I used that idea to create a similar image.  Even saw a similar image on Pinterest - so its a popular one.  I like how it turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment